Monday, January 15, 2018

Word of the Year

A few years ago I noticed that a lot of people would choose a "word of the year" as kind of a thought to keep in mind or maybe a new year's resolution.  I don't know if they still do that... probably not... figures that I'd join in that fad about the time it was fading... doesn't matter... I like it.

My 2018 Word...
For the first time in my life, I have time...
... time to help.
... time to do.
... time to go.
... time to wait.
... time to say yes.
I am so grateful to have time and to be able to make choices about how I spend that time. 


This is the inside of my armoire door.  Nobody sees it except me, but when I take something from the printer or get some office supply, I see these reminders.

They didn't all begin on January 1.  The year of a teacher begins in August, so maybe they're just "Words of the Season" and last until a new one speaks to me.

I guess if I'm going to show them, I should explain them. So... Let's see...
"Be George."
I've had my time as Paul and John... Nobody want's to be Ringo... but George... George was in the background, not the limelight.  He added value, but you forget his name.  He was important, but his role was to support.
Two or three years ago, I began to step back. I'd spent my time in the spotlight... won the award... been the one to willing stick my neck out... taken the mic... put my name on the top. And, I guess, I knew it was time to "Be George" and support the next generation of leadership.
"Purposeful"
Once I realized that last year would be my final year as a teacher, I knew that so much of my life was about to change.  Things would end.  I wouldn't be with many of my good friends every day.  I would be facing many one-last-time events. (One last group of kids... one last Christmas party... one last set of report cards... one last snow day... one last parent conference... one last assembly... one last intern... one last opportunity to...) I wanted to take it in, to savor it, and to be purposeful with every conversation, action, and  attitude.
"Decrapification"
There wasn't a word to fit just what I needed, so I did a very Helen-like thing and made one up.  If you take that word apart... prefix, root word, suffixes... you'll figure it out.  
We've accumulated "stuff" until it nearly overwhelmed me.  In the last five years, we lost my mother-in-law, my father-in-law, and my mother.  With the passing of each one, we acquired stuff.  In the last three years my parents moved into a smaller house, then my dad moved into a retirement center.  With each move, we got more stuff.  My elderly neighbor needed help clearing out things, and we got more stuff.  I closed down my classroom that I'd spent 32 years building and filling with all the things a classroom needs.  If purchased with school money, it stayed; however, much of it was mine, and that stuff came home.
Stuff... stuff... stuff!!!
Yes, I've read about the Konmari method... I hate it.  It shows me how much stuff I should let go of right now.  I know people say that "things" aren't important, but they are to me.  I want to touch the buttons and thread that belonged to my mother or the dishes that were my husband's grandmother's. 
Anyway... It's a process... I'm still working on it... It's ok... 
But, I do not want to bring any more stuff into this house!

I'm anxious to see what "Available" brings my way this year.

2 comments:

  1. As always you make me smile. I still like the last one and am still in the depths of it, but it is getting thinner and I am throwing out and donating so much and it does feel good. I like words of the season, gives us more to work on or work out, however you might see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're in the "it feels good" stage! I'm not sure I've arrived there yet.

      Delete